From: Phil Barker <phil.barker@pjjk.co.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 4:20 AM
To: public-vc-edu@w3.org
Cc: Deb Everhart <deverhart@credentialengine.org>; Stuart Sutton <stuartasutton@gmail.com>; Jeanne Therese Kitchens <jkitchens@credentialengine.org>
Subject: Re: The world of credential engine

On 12/01/2022 08:39, Snorre Lothar von Gohren Edwin wrote:
Thanks alot for this feedback guys! Helps alot!

Im well versed in the VC and DID space, its just when it comes to a valid structure of the education credential I have no one to discuss with :D
Its worth mentioning that im working on the African continent and we need to provide learning as well as insight on how things can work.

I saw I great presentation by your colleague Irene Mutuzo about your work at the T3 Annual Conference last month.

One of the problems of being leaders in a field is that you go beyond the limits of what is standard, which I think is where you are. So when you say you want to provide a record of all the modules taken by a student you are in transcript territory, and W3C VC hasn't quite got there yet. You may recall Mark Leuba of IMS presenting at the T3 conference on their Comprehensive Learner Records and their Wellspring project. That may well be the way forward.

CTDL has terms for describing Courses (what you call Modules) and Programs (what you call Courses) and the requirements (in terms of Courses, Assessments, work experience and other things) that must be satisfied for someone to complete a Program and earn a Credential. CTDL also has Pathways that show how Courses and other learning experiences, pre-existing credentials and assessments can be strung together to meet credential requirements. Where the credential requirements are flexible there can be many possible pathways that lead to them -- indeed each student may take a different pathway.

Modelling the programs and pathways isn't always easy, but the handbook<https://credreg.net/ctdl/handbook> should help. Working out the details of how to model a specific case is probably not best done on a public email list -- you may have noticed the there's a need to clarify language which isn't always easy on email, and we would probably try the patience of other people on the list. Perhaps we could organise a call sometime.

Since the Credential Engine does not itself deal with any individual's data, CTDL doesn't have many terms for relating and individual to a pathway, course or program they took or credential they earned, but it is designed to work with other vocabularies (such as schema.org, VC, or transcript standards like CLR) that do (or could) provide these terms. Then there is the question of how much of the detail goes in to a VC -- as you say the examples so far are all quite simple atomistic claims. Which is why we need this community group.
Hope this helps, Phil.

All these works with standardization, Im trying to find examples of how people have used the data models, in complex ways but all I find is this: https://w3c-ccg.github.io/vc-ed-models/. Which dont hold that complex models that I potentially want. Because examples explains how certain combos have been used to build up the credentials.

F.ex right now, im trying to represent a simple course accreditation. What that holds is some course info which is straight forward, but it also holds certain modules that they have gone through.
These modules are not standardized as of now, but is something the issuers have control over and I want to represent as flexible building blocks.
But from https://credreg.net/, I cannot deduct clearly how this can be built up.
I have looked at: https://credreg.net/ctdlasn/terms/#CompetencyFramework, with modules as https://credreg.net/ctdlasn/terms/#Competency.

But it was not clear to me how one build this up into a valid structure.
Also, what types of classes: https://credreg.net/ctdl/terms#classes that can contain this framework.

If anyone has an example using https://json-ld.org/playground/ that would be great!

Will the guidebooks help out increasing my learning around this? https://credreg.net/ctdl/handbook