Re: [IMSC] Thoughts re: issue-312 -- itts:forcedDisplay

On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 6:07 PM, Pierre-Anthony Lemieux <pal@sandflow.com>
wrote:

> > What do you mean by "application" in this context?
>
> The entity that is instructing the presentation processor to render
> the IMSC document.
>
> > I also don't know what parameter means in this context,
> > e.g., what does it mean vis-a-vis a TTML parameter, i.e.,
> > an attribute expressing a TTML parameter.
>
> It is not a TTML parameter, as in a ttp:*, but instead a state
> variable passed to the presentation processor instructing it to render
> or not non-forced content, like a function argument in a procedural
> language.
>
> > I am opposed to a one-off solution to a special case of the conditional
> >  content problem. And the forcedDisplay feature is exactly such a
> special case.
>
> Can you think of a generic solution that would reduce to a single
> attribute controlling the rendering of forced content? If so, we could
> consider using it in IMSC.

I haven't given it much thought, but if we were to introduce as the general
mechanism a new element type:

<tt:switch condition="expression">
... content elements ...
</tt:switch>

then we could also, or as an alternative, introduce an attribute @condition
on content element vocabulary, e.g.,

where *expression* uses a simple expression language such as media queries
level 4 [1] or a derivative.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/mediaqueries4/

For example,

Where the semantics of @condition is essentially changing step 3 of 9.3.3
[construct intermediate document] to read essentially as follows:

3. evaluating this sub-tree in a postorder traversal, prune elements if
they are not a content element
<https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/ttml/raw-file/tip/ttml2/spec/ttml2.html#terms-content-element>,
if they have a condition attribute that evaluates to false, if they are
temporally inactive, if they are empty, or if they aren't associated with
region *R* according to the [associate region]
<https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/ttml/raw-file/tip/ttml2/spec/procedure-associate-region>
 procedure;