W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-tt@w3.org > February 2014

Re: {agenda} TTWG Meeting 6/2/2014

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 16:17:29 -0800
Cc: Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>, Timed Text Working Group <public-tt@w3.org>, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Message-id: <14CEB371-E3E5-485C-8662-8E622E683245@apple.com>
To: Silvia Pfieffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>

On Feb 5, 2014, at 14:25 , Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

> I won't be able to attend the meeting, but here are some questions from me on the WebVTT side of the charter.
> 
> Looking at http://www.w3.org/2013/12/timed-text-charter-david.html I am a bit confused by some of the language:
> 
> 	• Publish a Recommendation for the WebVTT language, in particular the parts that cover the syntax, semantics, and rendering of subtitles, delivery of metadata, captions, chapter markers, and textual audio descriptions for speech synthesis. The Group is expected to produce annual updates for the Recommendation with previously unspecified features from browser vendors.
> In the process of producing the specification, the Group WILL:
> 
> 		• Address any issues found in WebVTT: The Web Video Text Tracks Format produced by the Web Media Text Tracks Community Group. Some may be deferred to future versions.
> 		• Include all features that have at least two independent and interoperable implementations
> 		• Solidify the set of features through the creation of a WebVTT test suite
> 		• Consider the adoption of new features
> 
> Could you please clarify the following:
> 
> At TPAC we discussed that the TTWG will take the WebVTT v1 spec produced by the TTCG once it has undergone the FSA. From there on, the TTWG will take that spec to REC. It was agreed that bug fixes would be applied, but addition of new features to WebVTT would be pushed back to the CCWG which by then would start working on WebVTT v2 (i.e. WebVTT v1 plus new features).

I don’t think the charter text above precludes what you are saying (nor does it assume it).  I would really really like to stop fiddling with the charter and get it approved, too.

> 
> Therefore, I think the following changes should be made:
> 
> * "The Group is expected to produce annual updates for the Recommendation with previously unspecified features from browser vendors." should be changed to something like "The Group will collaborate with the TTCG to add new features to the WebVTT language and prepare annual updates for the Recommendation.”

The WG is free to ask proponents of new features to work them out in the CG before the WG will take them on.  We don’t need to say that in the charter (it would just constrain us).  But a well-worked out new feature that arrives in the WG and can be, or needs to be, directly adopted into V1, could be taken by the WG *given consensus*.

> * dot point 4 "Consider the adoption of new features" should be replaced with "Contribute requirements for new features to the TTCG and work with the CG on including these into future annual updates of the WebVTT Recommendation."
> 
> Hope this can help resolve issues of the charter and move it forward.
> 
> Cheers,
> Silvia.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 4:44 AM, Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk> wrote:
> This meeting is scheduled for up to 90m.
>  
> Our teleconference is scheduled with reference to Boston Time, the correct time of this teleconference in your locale may change.
>  
> Please check http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20140206T10&p1=43
>   
> Thursdays 10:00am-11:30am Boston local
>  
> Zakim Bridge +1.617.761.6200, conference 8865 ("TTML")
> IRC: server: irc.w3.org, port: 6665, channel: #tt Web gateway to :http://www.w3.org/2001/01/cgi-irc
>  
> Theme: Change Proposal ownership and status review
> 
> All Change Proposals now have an Owner – it could be you! Check the index page [4] to find out!
> 
> Agenda+ Assign Roles
> 
> Chair: Nigel Megitt
> 
> Scribe: [to assign during meeting]
> 
> Regrets: Frans de Jong (present only for first 30 minutes)
> 
> Activity since last meeting: IANA registration, change proposal index tidying (action-263)
> 
> Agenda+ Charter [1], [2]
> 
> VTT License Model – updated wording proposal at [3] NB this doesn't yet include licence wording proposal
> ACTION-240	 pending review	Consider the problem of the license change from cg to wg, with the ac and ab and staff	 David Singer	2013-11-22	
> 
> 
> Agenda+ IANA registration of TTML media type
> 
> 
> ACTION-88	 pending review	Make sure the TTML media type is properly registered for Issue-175.	 Glenn Adams	2013-10-31	TTML 1.0
> 
> 
> Open actions
> 	• ACTION-265 on Glenn Adams: Take algorithm from ttml2 ed 8.2.13 tts:lineheight to css wg for review and potential adoption. - due 2014-02-06 - open
> 
> Agenda+ Remaining Pending Review actions
> 
> ID	 State	 Title	 Person	 Due Date	 Associated with
> ACTION-203	 pending review	Investigate 708 border style mapping issues with mike's help	Glenn Adams	2013-09-26	
> ACTION-266	 pending review	Describe wg process, issues, actions, change proposals on wg wiki more clearly, including taking out remaining references to work packages from change proposal index page overview.	Nigel Megitt	2014-02-06	
> 
> 
> Agenda+ Change Proposals – assignment and status
> 
> ACTION-262	 open	Update relevant change proposal to include row alignment requirement and potential css solution based on action-233 findings	 Nigel Megitt	2014-01-23	
> ACTION-264	 open	Ensure all p1 and p2 issues not closed belong in a change proposal	 Nigel Megitt	2014-01-23
> 
> 
> 
> Do we need to add a 'Product' entry against each change proposal?
> Which change proposals are suitable for making progress with editing in their current form?
> 
> Change Proposal Index is at [4].
> 
> Timeline agreed in 9th Jan meeting:
> January: Clean up and complete CPs
> February & March: Draft, iterate and edit solutions to CP issues
> April: Last Call
> 
> 
> Agenda+ Overdue Actions
> 
> There are 14 overdue actions.
> ID	 State	 Title	 Person	 Due Date	 Associated with
> ACTION-207	open	Add round-down clarification to "closest" language, see issue-259	Glenn Adams	2013-09-26	
> ACTION-215	open	Specify special semantics for tts:{extent, origin} on content elements to map to new inline region feature	Glenn Adams	2013-10-10	
> ACTION-232	open	Consider also defining @validation on ttp:profile, in addition to (override) tt:tt	Glenn Adams	2013-11-18	
> ACTION-234	open	Explore box-decoration-break in response to issue-286	Glenn Adams	2013-11-18	
> ACTION-236	open	Review consistent use of "root temporal extent" in both ttml 2 and ttml 1 se	Glenn Adams	2013-11-18	
> ACTION-244	open	Proceed with work to investigate deltas. if time doesn't allow the fallback is to remove annex a.	Pierre-Anthony Lemieux	2013-12-19	Constrained code pages
> ACTION-246	open	Take deliverables of draft charter to TAG for scrutiny	Nigel Megitt	2013-11-28	
> ACTION-251	open	Copy the wiki pages donated by web&tv in the tt wiki	Philippe Le Hégaret	2013-12-18	
> ACTION-254	open	Add errata note for ttml1 pointing at constraint in smil prohibiting dur of zero, add normative text to ttml2	Glenn Adams	2014-01-16	
> ACTION-256	open	Review wording on issue-259 proposed solution and suggest alternate wording for consistency with existing profile documents	Pierre-Anthony Lemieux	2014-01-16	
> ACTION-257	open	Create a new issue to split these out for tracking.	Pierre-Anthony Lemieux	2014-01-23	Closest
> ACTION-258	open	Work with pal to resolve edits needed for issue-259 comments	Glenn Adams	2014-01-23	
> 
> 
> 
> Agenda+ AOB
> 
> 
> References
> 
> [1] Charter draft  http://www.w3.org/2013/10/timed-text-charter.html 
> [2] Charter diff http://www.w3.org/2013/11/ttml-charter-diff.html
> [3] http://www.w3.org/2013/12/timed-text-charter-david.html
> [4] Change Proposals at http://www.w3.org/wiki/TTML/ChangeProposalIndex
> Tracker (Issues and Actions): http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker
>  TTML Wiki http://www.w3.org/wiki/TimedText
> 
> 
> 
>  
> ----------------------------
> 
> http://www.bbc.co.uk
> This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.
> If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system.
> Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify the sender immediately.
> Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.
> Further communication will signify your consent to this.
> ---------------------
> 

David Singer
Multimedia and Software Standards, Apple Inc.
Received on Thursday, 6 February 2014 00:17:57 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:06:12 UTC