W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-tt@w3.org > February 2014

Re: {agenda} TTWG Meeting 6/2/2014

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 19:24:08 +1100
Message-ID: <CAHp8n2=d8vMogBQ+X2XJuhejmTz=ixr023TQwURcHuW8nLLY1A@mail.gmail.com>
To: Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>
Cc: Philippe Le Hégaret <plh@w3.org>, Public TTWG List <public-tt@w3.org>, Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>
On 6 Feb 2014 11:17, "David Singer" <singer@apple.com> wrote:
>
>
> On Feb 5, 2014, at 14:25 , Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
wrote:
>
> > I won't be able to attend the meeting, but here are some questions from
me on the WebVTT side of the charter.
> >
> > Looking at http://www.w3.org/2013/12/timed-text-charter-david.html I am
a bit confused by some of the language:
> >
> >       * Publish a Recommendation for the WebVTT language, in particular
the parts that cover the syntax, semantics, and rendering of subtitles,
delivery of metadata, captions, chapter markers, and textual audio
descriptions for speech synthesis. The Group is expected to produce annual
updates for the Recommendation with previously unspecified features from
browser vendors.
> > In the process of producing the specification, the Group WILL:
> >
> >               * Address any issues found in WebVTT: The Web Video Text
Tracks Format produced by the Web Media Text Tracks Community Group. Some
may be deferred to future versions.
> >               * Include all features that have at least two independent
and interoperable implementations
> >               * Solidify the set of features through the creation of a
WebVTT test suite
> >               * Consider the adoption of new features
> >
> > Could you please clarify the following:
> >
> > At TPAC we discussed that the TTWG will take the WebVTT v1 spec
produced by the TTCG once it has undergone the FSA. From there on, the TTWG
will take that spec to REC. It was agreed that bug fixes would be applied,
but addition of new features to WebVTT would be pushed back to the CCWG
which by then would start working on WebVTT v2 (i.e. WebVTT v1 plus new
features).
>
> I don't think the charter text above precludes what you are saying (nor
does it assume it).  I would really really like to stop fiddling with the
charter and get it approved, too.

Understood. But since we will need to drop the open licence, adjustments
are necessary.

> >
> > Therefore, I think the following changes should be made:
> >
> > * "The Group is expected to produce annual updates for the
Recommendation with previously unspecified features from browser vendors."
should be changed to something like "The Group will collaborate with the
TTCG to add new features to the WebVTT language and prepare annual updates
for the Recommendation."
>
> The WG is free to ask proponents of new features to work them out in the
CG before the WG will take them on.  We don't need to say that in the
charter (it would just constrain us).  But a well-worked out new feature
that arrives in the WG and can be, or needs to be, directly adopted into
V1, could be taken by the WG *given consensus*.

Since it also needs to be implemented interoperably before going into the
spec, this is not likely the best process. Also, it doesn't help to keep
the spec in the WG and the CG in sync since the CG can't adopt features
from the WG when developed under the w3c doc licence. So, in order to
encourage collaboration and remove the need for forks with new features
also going into the next version spec under development in the CG, I think
the change would be advisable.

Cheers,
Silvia.

> > * dot point 4 "Consider the adoption of new features" should be
replaced with "Contribute requirements for new features to the TTCG and
work with the CG on including these into future annual updates of the
WebVTT Recommendation."
> >
> > Hope this can help resolve issues of the charter and move it forward.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Silvia.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 4:44 AM, Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>
wrote:
> > This meeting is scheduled for up to 90m.
> >
> > Our teleconference is scheduled with reference to Boston Time, the
correct time of this teleconference in your locale may change.
> >
> > Please check
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20140206T10&p1=43
> >
> > Thursdays 10:00am-11:30am Boston local
> >
> > Zakim Bridge +1.617.761.6200, conference 8865 ("TTML")
> > IRC: server: irc.w3.org, port: 6665, channel: #tt Web gateway to :
http://www.w3.org/2001/01/cgi-irc
> >
> > Theme: Change Proposal ownership and status review
> >
> > All Change Proposals now have an Owner - it could be you! Check the
index page [4] to find out!
> >
> > Agenda+ Assign Roles
> >
> > Chair: Nigel Megitt
> >
> > Scribe: [to assign during meeting]
> >
> > Regrets: Frans de Jong (present only for first 30 minutes)
> >
> > Activity since last meeting: IANA registration, change proposal index
tidying (action-263)
> >
> > Agenda+ Charter [1], [2]
> >
> > VTT License Model - updated wording proposal at [3] NB this doesn't yet
include licence wording proposal
> > ACTION-240     pending review Consider the problem of the license
change from cg to wg, with the ac and ab and staff   David Singer
2013-11-22
> >
> >
> > Agenda+ IANA registration of TTML media type
> >
> >
> > ACTION-88      pending review Make sure the TTML media type is properly
registered for Issue-175.      Glenn Adams    2013-10-31      TTML 1.0
> >
> >
> > Open actions
> >       * ACTION-265 on Glenn Adams: Take algorithm from ttml2 ed 8.2.13
tts:lineheight to css wg for review and potential adoption. - due
2014-02-06 - open
> >
> > Agenda+ Remaining Pending Review actions
> >
> > ID     State   Title   Person  Due Date        Associated with
> > ACTION-203     pending review Investigate 708 border style mapping
issues with mike's help    Glenn Adams     2013-09-26
> > ACTION-266     pending review Describe wg process, issues, actions,
change proposals on wg wiki more clearly, including taking out remaining
references to work packages from change proposal index page overview.
 Nigel Megitt    2014-02-06
> >
> >
> > Agenda+ Change Proposals - assignment and status
> >
> > ACTION-262     open   Update relevant change proposal to include row
alignment requirement and potential css solution based on action-233
findings     Nigel Megitt   2014-01-23
> > ACTION-264     open   Ensure all p1 and p2 issues not closed belong in
a change proposal       Nigel Megitt   2014-01-23
> >
> >
> >
> > Do we need to add a 'Product' entry against each change proposal?
> > Which change proposals are suitable for making progress with editing in
their current form?
> >
> > Change Proposal Index is at [4].
> >
> > Timeline agreed in 9th Jan meeting:
> > January: Clean up and complete CPs
> > February & March: Draft, iterate and edit solutions to CP issues
> > April: Last Call
> >
> >
> > Agenda+ Overdue Actions
> >
> > There are 14 overdue actions.
> > ID     State   Title   Person  Due Date        Associated with
> > ACTION-207    open    Add round-down clarification to "closest"
language, see issue-259       Glenn Adams     2013-09-26
> > ACTION-215    open    Specify special semantics for tts:{extent,
origin} on content elements to map to new inline region feature      Glenn
Adams     2013-10-10
> > ACTION-232    open    Consider also defining @validation on
ttp:profile, in addition to (override) tt:tt      Glenn Adams     2013-11-18
> > ACTION-234    open    Explore box-decoration-break in response to
issue-286   Glenn Adams     2013-11-18
> > ACTION-236    open    Review consistent use of "root temporal extent"
in both ttml 2 and ttml 1 se    Glenn Adams     2013-11-18
> > ACTION-244    open    Proceed with work to investigate deltas. if time
doesn't allow the fallback is to remove annex a.       Pierre-Anthony
Lemieux  2013-12-19      Constrained code pages
> > ACTION-246    open    Take deliverables of draft charter to TAG for
scrutiny  Nigel Megitt    2013-11-28
> > ACTION-251    open    Copy the wiki pages donated by web&tv in the tt
wiki    Philippe Le Hégaret     2013-12-18
> > ACTION-254    open    Add errata note for ttml1 pointing at constraint
in smil prohibiting dur of zero, add normative text to ttml2   Glenn Adams
    2014-01-16
> > ACTION-256    open    Review wording on issue-259 proposed solution and
suggest alternate wording for consistency with existing profile documents
  Pierre-Anthony Lemieux  2014-01-16
> > ACTION-257    open    Create a new issue to split these out for
tracking.     Pierre-Anthony Lemieux  2014-01-23      Closest
> > ACTION-258    open    Work with pal to resolve edits needed for
issue-259 comments    Glenn Adams     2014-01-23
> >
> >
> >
> > Agenda+ AOB
> >
> >
> > References
> >
> > [1] Charter draft  http://www.w3.org/2013/10/timed-text-charter.html
> > [2] Charter diff http://www.w3.org/2013/11/ttml-charter-diff.html
> > [3] http://www.w3.org/2013/12/timed-text-charter-david.html
> > [4] Change Proposals at http://www.w3.org/wiki/TTML/ChangeProposalIndex
> > Tracker (Issues and Actions): http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker
> >  TTML Wiki http://www.w3.org/wiki/TimedText
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ----------------------------
> >
> > http://www.bbc.co.uk
> > This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain
personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically
stated.
> > If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system.
> > Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in
reliance on it and notify the sender immediately.
> > Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.
> > Further communication will signify your consent to this.
> > ---------------------
> >
>
> David Singer
> Multimedia and Software Standards, Apple Inc.
>
Received on Thursday, 6 February 2014 08:24:39 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:06:12 UTC