W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-tt@w3.org > February 2014

Re: {agenda} TTWG Meeting 6/2/2014

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 09:25:43 +1100
Message-ID: <CAHp8n2nGhfGvOtbSGPM_bUSWxUqsjVtSAiL00uL0PfipxJ3BcQ@mail.gmail.com>
To: Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>
Cc: Timed Text Working Group <public-tt@w3.org>, Philippe Le Hégaret <plh@w3.org>, David Singer <singer@apple.com>
I won't be able to attend the meeting, but here are some questions from me
on the WebVTT side of the charter.

Looking at http://www.w3.org/2013/12/timed-text-charter-david.html I am a
bit confused by some of the language:


   1. Publish a Recommendation for the WebVTT language, in particular the
   parts that cover the syntax, semantics, and rendering of subtitles,
   delivery of metadata, captions, chapter markers, and textual audio
   descriptions for speech synthesis. The Group is expected to produce annual
   updates for the Recommendation with previously unspecified features from
   browser vendors.

   In the process of producing the specification, the Group WILL:
   1. Address any issues found in WebVTT: The Web Video Text Tracks
Format<https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/text-tracks/raw-file/default/webvtt/webvtt.html>produced
by the Web Media Text Tracks Community Group. Some may be deferred
      to future versions.
      2. Include all features that have at least two independent and
      interoperable implementations
      3. Solidify the set of features through the creation of a WebVTT test
      suite
      4. Consider the adoption of new features


Could you please clarify the following:

At TPAC we discussed that the TTWG will take the WebVTT v1 spec produced by
the TTCG once it has undergone the FSA. From there on, the TTWG will take
that spec to REC. It was agreed that bug fixes would be applied, but
addition of new features to WebVTT would be pushed back to the CCWG which
by then would start working on WebVTT v2 (i.e. WebVTT v1 plus new features).

Therefore, I think the following changes should be made:

* "The Group is expected to produce annual updates for the Recommendation
with previously unspecified features from browser vendors." should be
changed to something like "The Group will collaborate with the TTCG to add
new features to the WebVTT language and prepare annual updates for the
Recommendation."
* dot point 4 "Consider the adoption of new features" should be replaced
with "Contribute requirements for new features to the TTCG and work with
the CG on including these into future annual updates of the WebVTT
Recommendation."

Hope this can help resolve issues of the charter and move it forward.

Cheers,
Silvia.




On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 4:44 AM, Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk> wrote:

>    *This meeting is scheduled for up to 90m.*
>
>
>
> Our teleconference is scheduled with reference to Boston Time, the correct
> time of this teleconference in your locale may change.
>
>
>
> Please check <http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20131031T10&p1=43><http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20131121T10&p1=43><http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20131205T10&p1=43><http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20131212T10&p1=43><http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20131212T10&p1=43><http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20140109T10&p1=43><http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20140130T10&p1=43>
> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20140206T10&p1=43
>
>
>
>  Thursdays 10:00am-11:30am Boston local
>
>
>
> Zakim Bridge +1.617.761.6200, conference 8865 ("TTML")
>
> IRC: server: irc.w3.org, port: 6665, channel: #tt Web gateway to :
> http://www.w3.org/2001/01/cgi-irc
>
>
>
> *Theme: Change Proposal ownership and status review*
>
>
>  *All Change Proposals now have an Owner - it could be you! Check the
> index page [4] to find out!*
>
>
>  *Agenda+ Assign Roles*
>
>
>  *Chair: *Nigel Megitt
>
>
>  *Scribe: [to assign during meeting]*
>
>
>  *Regrets:* Frans de Jong (present only for first 30 minutes)
>
>
>  *Activity since last meeting:* IANA registration, change proposal index
> tidying (action-263)
>
>
>  *Agenda+ Charter* [1], [2]
>
>
>  VTT License Model - updated wording proposal at [3] NB this doesn't yet
> include licence wording proposal
>
>     ACTION-240 <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/240>[image:
> (edit)] <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/240/edit> pending
> review Consider the problem of the license change from cg to wg, with the
> ac and ab and staff <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/240> David
> Singer 2013-11-22
>
>
>  *Agenda+ IANA registration of TTML media type*
>
>
>
> ACTION-88 <https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/88>[image:
> (edit)] <https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/88/edit> pending
> review Make sure the TTML media type is properly registered for Issue-175.<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/88> Glenn
> Adams 2013-10-31 TTML 1.0<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/products/1>
>
>
>  *Open actions*
>
>
>    - [image: (edit)]<http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/265/edit>
>    ACTION-265 <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/265> on
>    Glenn Adams: Take algorithm from ttml2 ed 8.2.13 tts:lineheight to css wg
>    for review and potential adoption. - due 2014-02-06 - open
>
>  *Agenda+ Remaining Pending Review actions*
>
>
>     ID State Title Person Due Date Associated with   ACTION-203<http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/203>[image:
> (edit)] <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/203/edit> pending
> review Investigate 708 border style mapping issues with mike's help<http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/203> Glenn
> Adams 2013-09-26
>   ACTION-266 <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/266>[image:
> (edit)] <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/266/edit> pending
> review Describe wg process, issues, actions, change proposals on wg wiki
> more clearly, including taking out remaining references to work packages
> from change proposal index page overview.<http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/266> Nigel
> Megitt 2014-02-06
>
>
>  *Agenda+ Change Proposals - assignment and status*
>
>
>      ACTION-262 <https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/262>[image:
> (edit)] <https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/262/edit> open Update
> relevant change proposal to include row alignment requirement and potential
> css solution based on action-233 findings<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/262> Nigel
> Megitt 2014-01-23   ACTION-264<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/264>[image:
> (edit)] <https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/264/edit> open Ensure
> all p1 and p2 issues not closed belong in a change proposal<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/264> Nigel
> Megitt 2014-01-23
>
>
>  Do we need to add a 'Product' entry against each change proposal?
>
> Which change proposals are suitable for making progress with editing in
> their current form?
>
>
>  Change Proposal Index is at [4].
>
>  Timeline agreed in 9th Jan meeting:
> January: Clean up and complete CPs
> February & March: Draft, iterate and edit solutions to CP issues
> April: Last Call
>
>   *Agenda+ Overdue Actions*
>
>
>   There are 14 overdue actions.
>
> * ID State Title Person Due Date Associated with ACTION-207
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/207>[image: (edit)]
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/207/edit> open Add
> round-down clarification to "closest" language, see issue-259
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/207> Glenn Adams
> 2013-09-26 ACTION-215
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/215>[image: (edit)]
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/215/edit> open Specify
> special semantics for tts:{extent, origin} on content elements to map to
> new inline region feature
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/215> Glenn Adams
> 2013-10-10 ACTION-232
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/232>[image: (edit)]
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/232/edit> open Consider
> also defining @validation on ttp:profile, in addition to (override) tt:tt
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/232> Glenn Adams
> 2013-11-18 ACTION-234
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/234>[image: (edit)]
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/234/edit> open Explore
> box-decoration-break in response to issue-286
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/234> Glenn Adams
> 2013-11-18 ACTION-236
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/236>[image: (edit)]
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/236/edit> open Review
> consistent use of "root temporal extent" in both ttml 2 and ttml 1 se
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/236> Glenn Adams
> 2013-11-18 ACTION-244
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/244>[image: (edit)]
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/244/edit> open Proceed
> with work to investigate deltas. if time doesn't allow the fallback is to
> remove annex a. <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/244>
> Pierre-Anthony Lemieux 2013-12-19 Constrained code pages
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/295> ACTION-246
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/246>[image: (edit)]
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/246/edit> open Take
> deliverables of draft charter to TAG for scrutiny
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/246> Nigel Megitt
> 2013-11-28 ACTION-251
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/251>[image: (edit)]
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/251/edit> open Copy the
> wiki pages donated by web&tv in the tt wiki
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/251> Philippe Le Hégaret
> 2013-12-18 ACTION-254
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/254>[image: (edit)]
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/254/edit> open Add errata
> note for ttml1 pointing at constraint in smil prohibiting dur of zero, add
> normative text to ttml2
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/254> Glenn Adams
> 2014-01-16 ACTION-256
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/256>[image: (edit)]
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/256/edit> open Review
> wording on issue-259 proposed solution and suggest alternate wording for
> consistency with existing profile documents
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/256> Pierre-Anthony
> Lemieux 2014-01-16 ACTION-257
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/257>[image: (edit)]
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/257/edit> open Create a
> new issue to split these out for tracking.
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/257> Pierre-Anthony
> Lemieux 2014-01-23 Closest
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/259> ACTION-258
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/258>[image: (edit)]
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/258/edit> open Work with
> pal to resolve edits needed for issue-259 comments
> <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/258> Glenn Adams
> 2014-01-23 *
>
>
>
>  *Agenda+ AOB*
>
>
>  *References*
>
>  [1] Charter draft  http://www.w3.org/2013/10/timed-text-charter.html
>
> [2] Charter diff http://www.w3.org/2013/11/ttml-charter-diff.html
>
> [3] http://www.w3.org/2013/12/timed-text-charter-david.html
>
> [4] Change Proposals at http://www.w3.org/wiki/TTML/ChangeProposalIndex
>
> Tracker (Issues and Actions): http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker
>
>  TTML Wiki http://www.w3.org/wiki/TimedText
>
>
>
> ----------------------------
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk
> This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal
> views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.
> If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system.
> Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in
> reliance on it and notify the sender immediately.
> Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.
> Further communication will signify your consent to this.
>
> ---------------------
>
Received on Wednesday, 5 February 2014 22:26:34 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:06:12 UTC