Re: Issue 29 - SMPTE tests

Since drop frame mode originates from (and is commonly associated with)
SMPTE frame timing, then smpteMode is a reasonable choice, and no change
seems necessary. I just reviewed SMPTE 12M (1995), and at that publication,
only three systems were defined: 24, 25, and 30 frame systems. However,
since frame rate is (in most video encodings, such as MPEG-[124]) not fixed
to these values, and since ³SMPTE frame² timing is nevertheless utilized
with such video encodings irrespective of whether they adhere to the strict
set of {24, 25, 30}, and since, moreover, frame drop counting is still
applied to such systems, then it is again appropriate to use the name we
have chosen.

SMPTE 12M (1995) itself defines a ³Linear Time Code² (LTC) application,
where each 80-bit LTC code word includes time address of frame, flag bits,
binary groups, biphase mark polarity bit, and a synchronization word, where
the following bits apply (I list only the subset that pertains to DFXP
here):

Bits

0-3   units of frames
8-9   tens of frames
10    drop flag
16-19 units of seconds
24-26 tens of seconds
32-35 units of minutes
40-42 tens of minutes
48-51 units of hours
56-57 tens of hours

Even though 12M does state ³Not all flag bits are used by all systems²,
there is no prohibition on the creation or use of some new or non-standard
system that would use the drop frame flag with other frame rates. Note also
that SMPTE 258M (1993) defines an ASCII format for SMPTE time codes which
permits independent values of drop flag regardless of frame rate  (see
attached excerpt).

G.