From: Glenn A. Adams [mailto:gadams@xfsi.com]
Sent: 12 April 2009 2:26 PM
To: Sean Hayes; Public TTWG List
Subject: Re: Issue 29 - SMPTE tests

But it does indeed have a well defined meaning, whether it is used anywhere at all (in a deployed system) is not relevant. The definition of ttp:smpteMode clearly defines what dropNTSC, dropPAL, and noDrop mean irrespective of whether they are used in any deployed television system. In particular, you example below (ttp:frameRate="30" ttp:smpteMode="dropNTSC") means that frames are counted as follows:

If second == 0 and minute is not one of { 0, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 }, then frames in that second are counted from [2 ... 29]; otherwise, frames are counted [0 ... 29].

So it is well defined and does have a meaning. Accordingly, no change to the spec is required.

G.