Re: spec question xml:space=preserve

I believe region is NOT a content element, but defines a layout
specification, which, in XSL-FO terms, would be an fo:block-container (as
you note).

I believe there is no problem with respect to preserved whitespace inside
region, since, according to 9.3.2 (1), only text nodes in a content element
are subject to being treated as anonymous spans.

I suppose your last question is whether we should modeify the phrase ³that
is not a child of a span element², yes?

In other words, I guess you are suggesting that the following:

span
  sequence of text nodes ³ABC²
  span
    sequence of text nodes ³DEF²
  sequence of text nodes ³GHI²

should be rewritten by 9.3.2 (1) to:

span
  anonymous-span
    sequence of text nodes ³ABC²
  span
    sequence of text nodes ³DEF²
  anonymous-span
    sequence of text nodes ³GHI²

So perhaps the language of 9.3.2 (1) should be modified and expanded to the
following three rules:

> a) for each significant text node in a content element, synthesize an
> anonymous span to enclose the text node, substituting the new anonymous span
> for the original text node child in its sibling and parent hierarchy;
>
> b) for each contiguous sequence of anonymous spans, replace the sequence with
> a single anonymous span which contains a sequence of text nodes representing
> the individual text node children of the original sequence of anonymous spans;
>
> c) for each span element whose child is a single anonymous span, replace the
> anonymous span with its sequence of child text nodes;

G.