Re: TT telecon - agenda for 5 Dec

Hi,

If I may, I'd like to contribute some information to the xml:id vs id
discussion.

I am aware that most players by now support xml:id, and that this may
be regarded as a reason to keep it in the spec.

However, I have had feedback from another person looking to use DFXP
for subtitles in Web video. Here is what he wrote:

"xml:id support in Gecko was attempted but it was pulled due to
performance issues. xml:id support has explicitly been decided against
in WebKit. The problem with xml:id on the general level is that it
breaks the assumption that an element can have only one ID attribute.
xml:id has already turned out to be more complex than expected for the
HTML5 Validator.nu. Currently, it seems that xml:id is falling out of
favor when it comes to browser-targeted XML vocabularies. (I'd prefer
DFXP to use an element called 'id' in no namespace instead of xml:id.
However, if at this point existing implementations support xml:id, it
may be better to stick to xml:id as the *only* way--since having two
ways is the problem--as long as xml:id isn't leaked to the
general-purpose Gecko DOM e.g. through a scripting API.)"

I would support removing xml:id - in fact, I would support removing
the use of namespaces where possible. It will make implementation much
more lightweight. But that's a different discussion altogether.

Best Regards,
Silvia.