From: Johnb@screen.subtitling.com [mailto:Johnb@screen.subtitling.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 9:20 AM
To: fora@annevankesteren.nl; Glenn A. Adams
Cc: public-tt@w3.org
Subject: RE: [DFXP LC Comment] Some questions (was: Re: [tt] Some
questions)

Anne,

I am a proponent of the elimination of inline style, and very much
favour the use of style sheets and applicative or associative style.
There are few cases where style is truly information - but I can think
of some.

For example, the Coca Cola logo is white text on a red background - not
because red or white have any semantic association, but because that is
the trademark style for that logo.

So there is a place for purely presentational style.
In my area of interest (TV subtitling) however, style is NOT a
presentation issue, but a means to convey extra information along with
the text (such as speaker identity, shouting etc).

As Glenn states, the TTAF WG have met the requirement to represent style
as XML.
I guess you would agree with me however, that the limitations of the
DFXP style mechanism make that representation less useful than it could
be.

regards John Birch.