Re: TT and subtitling

On Monday, February 3, 2003, Glenn A. Adams <glenn@xfsi.com> wrote:
>Message
>Actually, I think we should define this terminology
>very clearly in our work, as there has been much confusion
>because of variant usage.
>
>In a recent working document in SMPTE, these have been
>defined as follows:
>
>Captions
>
>Text that is a representation, often in the
>same language, of dialog and audio events occurring during
>scenes of a motion picture. (Generally associated with
>dialog and audio event translation for the deaf and hard
>of hearing.)
>

>Subtitle
>
>Text that is a representation, in a different language,
>of dialog occurring during scenes of a motion picture.
>Generally associated with dialog translation for localization
>of a motion picture in a particular territory.

SMPTE's definitions leave room for ambiguity.  Captions are always in the
 same language as the program audio, for example, and they aren't limited to just
 motion  pictures.  I propose the following definition for captions:

"Textual representation of dialog, narration and other audio events, in the same
 language as the original presentation."

And for subtitles:

"Textual representation of dialog or narration in a language different from the
 original presentation."

We should also provide examples in the final recommendation, something we
 don't necessarily need to deal with right now.

Geoff/NCAM