Re: 409 status code

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 10:37:03 -0700
Cc: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, public-tracking@w3.org, Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
To: Mike O'Neill <michael.oneill@baycloud.com>

On Mar 26, 2014, at 10:16 , Mike O'Neill <michael.oneill@baycloud.com> wrote:

> Thought of an interoperability problem with the 409. If script on a page (accessed with DNT set) does a PUT update against an Azure storage blob (assuming it supports CORS), a 409 SC might be taken by the UA or add-on as a third-party rejection of DNT.
>
> Mike

well, I think you have to understand the 409 in context.  In a put without a DNT header, it probably doesn’t relate to DNT.  In a GET that doesn’t involve Azure, it probably doesn’t relate to Azure.

Would one include a DNT header in methods other than GET?  Are we clear about for which HTTP methods DNT is appropriately signalled?
David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.