Re: [ISSUE-206] Service Provider (and related ISSUE-219 question)

On Jun 6, 2014, at 2:42 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2014, at 11:59 AM, Justin Brookman wrote:
>
>> That is Ad X could collect and store data on behalf of Sites 1-300, and then serve targeted ads based on any one of those 300 silos when a user visits Sites 301?  As long as the contracts allow this and prohibit use of blended data across silos?
>
> I don't understand how "serve targeted ads based on" some other site would
> be allowed unless both sites are owned by the same first party.
> Otherwise, that is tracking: "use of data derived from that activity outside
> the context in which it occurred".  Note that the definition of tracking
> doesn't care whether the tracker is a service provider; it only cares
> about the context in which that data was collected.
>
> ....Roy

It's used outside the context the data was collected, but it's not necessary cross-site tracking data if it's just held on behalf of a publisher, right?  So if ADNET is a service provider to Shoes.com, Diapers.com, Hats.com, Social.com, and dozens of other publishers, it can collect target ads on News.com based on any one of those silos (say a retargeted ad for a shoe that the user looked at, or something based on the user's activity on Social.com).  Assuming that we adopt your definition of service provider and resolve ISSUE-219 to allow first party data to be used in other contexts.

Or am I misinterpreting the service provider language?