Re: tracking-ISSUE-240 (Context): Do we need to define context? [Tracking Preference Expression (DNT)]

On Dec 18, 2013, at 10:37 AM, Tracking Protection Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:

> tracking-ISSUE-240 (Context): Do we need to define context? [Tracking Preference Expression (DNT)]
>
> http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/240

https://www.w3.org/wiki/Privacy/TPWG/Proposals_on_the_definition_of_context

I have proposed a slightly new alternative:

   A context is a set of resources that share the same privacy policy,
   the same data controller, and a common group identity that is consistent
   with that controller. A context represents a typical user's expectations
   regarding the boundaries of a commonly branded Web site (i.e., what makes
   it distinct from sites with a different group identity) independent of
   the technology, domain names, or parties operating that site via one or
   more origin servers.

Note that this is intended to supplant my original proposal of

> "For the purpose of this definition, a context is a set of resources that share the same data controller, same privacy policy, and a common branding, such that a user would expect that data collected by one of those resources is available to all other resources within the same context."

unless someone else adopts the old one.

Cheers,

Roy T. Fielding                     <http://roy.gbiv.com/>
Senior Principal Scientist, Adobe   <https://www.adobe.com/>