RE: Status of ISSUE-143

Justin,

Thank you for the detailed email.

History:  I disagree on the "agreements" that have centered around the steps discussed below.  While I agree on the closing of TPE Issue-143 as a temporary position in consolidating tickets - in this case to TCS Issue-194 - we did this with the express agreement to revisit this in the TPE once the topic had been handled in the TCS.  Two conflating situations: the Swire/W3C June Draft and the cessation of effort on the TCS, caused this critical issues to be lost in the shuffle.  I was in Sunnyvale and we most certainly did NOT agree on this topic and simply agreed to continue the conversation (this was ahead of the TCS "pause").  I've reviewed this with several other consistent TPWG participants and they agree.

Net new information to consider:  The only significant push back this request received was the increased page request header size that would result in "byte bloat" across the Internet.   After further discussion within industry I want to push back on that position and alter the language requested to help strengthen this perspective.  First, only those headers coming with DNT:1 would need to include this conditional field.  Second, only in those situations where the DNT:1 setter is something other than the current User Agent (already conveyed in the UA String) would this information be added.  If a 3rd party tool communicates its setting through the UA in a manner that the UA has validated, then this is not necessary (but nice-to-have so becomes a "MAY" in those cases).  Lastly, we believe less than 12 bytes on average would ever be used (simply include the domain/suffix of the setting party's site).  This layering of conditions places the percent volume increased much lower than originally discussed and those of us on the Server implementation side believe this is a critical enough issue to justify this additional byte load on the transaction.

Draft language addition to TPE:  (Section 4.2)

Option A:  Delimit the DNT-field-value with an optional element, or
Option B:  Introduce an additional DNT-field-name = "DNTSET"

[Roy, I've been reviewing recent RFCs and have seen both approaches taken - is there a preferred approach?]

<new text - normative>
A user agent must send the DNTSET element only in cases where the DNT field-value is set to "1" (%x31) and the setter is not equal to the party provided in the HTTP "User-Agent" string for the network interaction.  In cases where the setter has been validated as part of the user agent's DNT approach this is not required but the setter may optionally pass the DNTSET field for greater transparency.  The DNTSET element should reflect the setter's parent HTTP domain.  The value should consist of valid URL characters and not exceed 30 characters.
</new text>

<new text - non-normative>
EXAMPLE 2
GET /something/here HTTP/1.1
Host: example.com
DNT: 1
DNTSET: privacytool.org
</new text>

I'm hopeful we can appropriately consider this ahead of moving to Last Call as this is a long-standing issue that has been repeatedly brought up through-out this process only to be side-stepped at the very last moments in one of the rare occasions I've not been able to participate in our weekly call.

If you disagree, could one of the W3C staff share the Formal Objection process details and we'll submit that immediately.

Thank you,
- Shane