From: David Wainberg <dwainberg@appnexus.com<mailto:dwainberg@appnexus.com>>
Date: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 6:20 PM
To: "public-tracking@w3.org<mailto:public-tracking@w3.org>" <public-tracking@w3.org<mailto:public-tracking@w3.org>>, "chris.mejia@iab.net<mailto:chris.mejia@iab.net> Mejia" <chris.mejia@iab.net<mailto:chris.mejia@iab.net>>
Subject: introduction to the TPE

Apologies for having to drop in the middle of this discussion today, but I was late for another meeting. As we discussed, the Introduction should be pared down to remove unneeded and inappropriate text, and to better reflect what is in the document. The last para is most all that's required. I propose the following version as the complete intro:

1. Introduction

This specification defines protocol elements for use within the Hypertext Transfer Protocol [HTTP<http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/drafts/tracking-dnt.html#bib-HTTP>] which allow a user to express a tracking preference, via the DNT<http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/drafts/tracking-dnt.html#dfn-dnt> request header field, and allow a server to describe their tracking behavior via a well-known tracking status resource<http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/drafts/tracking-dnt.html#status-resource> and the Tk<http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/drafts/tracking-dnt.html#dfn-tk> response header field. In addition, JavaScript APIs are defined for enabling scripts to determine DNT status and to register a user-granted exception. This specification does not stand on its own, but rather is intended to couple with a compliance specification that will define what recipients must do in response to the DNT request header field.