RE: extensions in Determining User Preference

It is fundamentally though a rights debate, and W3C cannot escape that, i.e. DNT is about the right to privacy and self-determination of preference. It is also affected by the limits of individual rights in context, e.g. in my home and many enterprises internet service is a *privilege*, not a *right*, as is self-determination of preference. There may be limits placed on rights in the interest of ensuring safety, e.g. that of my kids.

The definition of choice is the fundamental question where I am afraid we will disagree. I take a much broader and innovation-enabling view of choice, which should verifiably reflect user intent, but is not limited to one technical solution.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dobbs, Brooks [mailto:Brooks.Dobbs@kbmg.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 2:06 PM
To: SULLIVAN, BRYAN L; 'Walter van Holst'; 'public-tracking@w3.org'; 'Shane Wiley'
Subject: Re: extensions in Determining User Preference

Bryan,

I'm pretty sure we didn't mean DNT to become a human rights debate about
who can represent choice for another.  I've always assumed this only
worked where the choice (or lack thereof) was meant to reflect the user at
the other end of the keyboard unless that user had knowingly agreed to
proceed through an intermediary with a preset choice - which again is a
defacto reflection of choice.  Your argument about a home router is a
slippery slope.  Again origin servers MUST proceed based on the choice of
the user (1, 0 or unset).  If a compliance doc gave rise to a specific
legal exception (i.e. cookie consent) based on a DNT:0 where that signal
was set by a router unknown to the user, I worry that we've lost a
defensible position of user choice.  This is not a property rights
argument; it is a technical spec about the conveyance of user choice.

-Brooks

--

Brooks Dobbs, CIPP | Chief Privacy Officer | KBM Group | Part of the
Wunderman Network

This email  including attachments  may contain confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient,
 do not copy, distribute or act on it. Instead, notify the sender
immediately and delete the message.