From: Matthias Schunter (Intel Corporation) [mailto:mts-std@schunter.org]
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2013 9:58 AM
To: public-tracking@w3.org
Subject: Re: Call for proposals for ISSUE-194

Hi Team,

thanks for your input!

One challenge that I heard is to distinguish legacy signals (tools
spraying DNT;1) from newly designed
user agents that comply with our spec.

My understanding of the proposal by Rob:
- Use authentication to ensure valid transmission of signals
- Replace unauthenticated signals by DNT1

Another proposal was to introduce a new flag/value to distinguish
legacy signals from signals from newly designed user agents:
- DNT;1 - Legacy signals
- DNT;1i - User preference collected at install-time
- DNT;1p - User preference entered by the user as part of the run-time
preference settings
- DNT;0 - Permission to track (by preference or exception)

Note that for all approaches, there is always the User agent string that
gives some indication of the user agent sending the requests.

I am still eager to hear more proposals. Overall, the goal to reliably
identify "sound" user preferences is a common objective of this group.
IMHO we just have not found the best approach to achieve this goal.

Further comments, clarifications, and inputs are appreciated. I would
also like to discuss this topic at our F2F next week.

Regards,
matthias