Re: RE: DNT:1 and "data append"

From: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 10:15:36 +0100
To: JC Cannon <jccannon@microsoft.com>
Cc: Jeffrey Chester <jeff@democraticmedia.org>, Chris Pedigo <CPedigo@online-publishers.org>, "public-tracking@w3.org" <public-tracking@w3.org>, "ifette@google.com" <ifette@google.com>, David Singer <singer@apple.com>
On Wednesday 20 March 2013 23:24:51 JC Cannon wrote:
>  As DNT does not apply to 1st-parties,

This is an easy abbreviation, but it is wrong. DNT applies to first
parties. They can't share. And all practices I hear invoked require to
share an ID at some point in time.

offline - online data: I think nobody seriously proposes to collect
personal data online, turn off the network and share then.

But on the other hand, only the collected data (under DNT:1) is subject
to the no-sharing limitation. So an in-house combination of pre-existing
(offline/online) data at the first party can be combined.

The current problem the DPAs have with Google's unifying privacy
approach over all services is out of scope for DNT IMHO.

 --Rigo