Re: DNT:1 and "data append"

On Mar 19, 2013, at 14:42 , John Simpson <john@consumerwatchdog.org> wrote:

> David,
>
> As I understand it, some sites take the data they have gathered as a 1st party and append to it data that they have obtained elsewhere -- perhaps from a data broker.  I'm saying that as a user I expect to engage with a 1st party site.  I understand that the site will gather data about my visit there.  What I would not expect with DNT:1 is that the 1st party site would go elsewhere to obtain data and "append" it to the information about my visit to the site.
>
> Does that make sense?

getting there!

so, examples of data that the 1st party might gather in addition might help:

* take your IP address and infer a geographic location, and record that
* take the geographic location and the time, and record the time-of-day of the transaction in your local timezone
* consult with their advertisers and include an ad with the product you bought ('what has John shown interest in recently?')
* look up your public records about where you live, your family etc., and suggest you buy a birthday gift for your son's upcoming birthday…

can you give better examples?