Re: Letter from Dr. Dix - Updated Attachments

The devil is in the details:

27. The default of DNT and the defaults actions by the Web Tracking organisation remain crucial once again. For DNT to be an effective instrument to provide user control, it is crucial that those performing Web Tracking can be certain that the DNT signal which they receive is a true indication of the user's wishes. In the absence of fully informed user choice, a Web Tracking organisation must assume that a user is not aware of Web Tracking and therefore assume the default position as if they had received a DNT:1 signal, which indicates a wish from the user not wanting to be tracked.

To me, in W3C DNT words I read this as: even when a user has not made a choice to use DNT, and the browser setting is unset, in the EU, a party should assume that a user does not want to be tracked as the default. This could be addressed in the June draft, but could also be addressed in the TPE (non-normative example for the EU).

Rob