Re: Change proposal: new general principle for permitted uses

On Jul 29, 2013, at 1:58 AM, "Walter van Holst" <walter.van.holst@xs4all.nl> wrote:

On 2013-07-29 08:33, SULLIVAN, BRYAN L wrote:

> <Bryan> I don't think there is such a principle in IETF. Otherwise
> there would be no role for HTTP proxies and other elements described
> in RFCs. Networks must be allowed to be intelligent and an active
> participant in serving verifiable user preferences.

Actually, it is a long standing engineering principle of the internet that the network's intelligence is at its edges.

<Bryan> if so, it's a weak principle that doesn't stop vendors of may devices from providing valuable features in those devices, e.g. home gateways. I think a stronger indication of principle comes from the fact that intelligence, user agency, and applications are becoming more distributed concepts, every day. That principle is the valuation of innovation and deployment of useful products, over dogma.