From: Rigo Wenning [mailto:rigo@w3.org]
Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2013 2:20 AM
To: Shane Wiley
Cc: Chris Mejia; public-tracking@w3.org
Subject: Re: ISSUE-151 Re: Change proposal: new general principle for permitted uses

Shane,

nice summary. Do you want to keep this under ISSUE-151?

I think the solutions have to be discussed with the browser makers.

E.g. if we can find a different algorithm to generate the signature without CERT that isn't easy for the routers and dumb tools and that still has browser support, we have an option. Matthias is on holidays, but he is rather good in those encryption things. This will go into TPE anyway.

But I do not believe that avoiding the easy router spawning of DNT- signals will lower the rate of DNT-signals on the long run. So it is decisive to have a means to turn DNT:0 on and to encourage such a solution at the same time.

So solution 1 has the advantage of giving more incentives to implement UGE. Solution 2 looks smarter from a technology perspective.

This could be done in a TF with the browsers (like with audience
measurement) where we come back to the group with a suggestion that makes sense and look for consensus for that solution (or change proposals).

Would that make sense to you?

 --Rigo