Re: Path forward... (RESPONSE REQUESTED)

On Wednesday 24 July 2013 08:45:51 Aleecia M. McDonald wrote:
> Succinctly, and down to a boolean: Do we shut down by the end of this
> month absent an affirmative group decision to continue?

The continuation of this group is formally a decision of the Director.

If all participants now decide they want to go home and do something
else, they can do so.

If the group decides to publish all Working Drafts as W3C Notes and
disband, they will record that decision and it will be brought to the
attention of the Director. The Director may then come back and try to
convince Participants to continue.

Tim Berners-Lee is the Director, but you should read "Director" as an
abstract construct for a decision making management board within W3C
that reacts on requests and suggestions.

You're mainly eluding to the fact that Peter said at some point: On 24
July we need an affirmative decision to continue. Otherwise we will
stop. As a chair, he can make that suggestion to the Director.

But IMHO, there is not that automatic thing put forward by some voices
that says: "We need a vote/commitment of a majority to continue,
otherwise  this will be dissolved... " Because the Group does not have
the authority to dissolve itself. This is the right of the Director
after advice of the Advisory Committee.

In normal operations, the way you know that a Group has exhausted its
ability to make progress is when there are no contributions anymore. I
don't see that happening here.

So its good to re-affirm our commitment to each other, but I do not
believe that if we fail to get "consensus to continue" that we will have
to dissolve. This is not compatible with bylaws or W3C Process.

So maybe, some people may want to drop out of the Group, but you can't
materially hinder others to continue. IMHO and from the top of my head.
This is NOT a W3C team position as I haven't had the time to get
agreement or even review by the Team.

 --Rigo