Re: Explanatory Memorandum

Peter & Matthias ­

I wanted to share some concerns I have with the Tracking Protection Working
Group ­ specifically regarding the recent decision by the chairs. Iıve
attempted to engage Peter privately as the primary drafter of the text, but
my outreach was not fruitful.

Iım trying to avoid the distraction of another public objection. I raise
these points in part because Peterıs own criteria mandates that ³[t]he task
of the Working Group is to create a standard within the W3C process.² (See
page 4 of the exploratory memo). So, to the extent that we are not following
the W3C process, we are unlikely to reach the WG objective as framed by
Peter.

To that end, Iıd respectfully like to ask you to address the following
questions:

·     Why was the document entitled ³What Base Text to Use for the Do Not
Track Compliance Specification² (³Decision Document²) characterized as a
group decision rather than a chairıs decision? The Decision Document
repeatedly uses the term ³group decision.² However, a group decision would
seem to suggest that WG member votes were tallied, but I donıt see votes
tabulated anywhere. Naming conventions are important in a public process ­
it would be unfortunate if someone outside the WG were to have gotten the
impression that the Decision Document represented the working groupıs actual
consensus when it so clearly does not (See
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking/2013Jul/0426.html).

·     If your ³5 criteria for DNT² were going to be utilized as the primary
criteria to evaluate the two draft texts, why wasnıt that communicated to
the WG prior to the voting process? Iım sure that would have been helpful
information to all of the WG members who spent hours of time writing
objections.

·     Why didnıt the either of your documents reference the objections to
the June draft? While I donıt necessarily agree with all of the criticisms
of the June draft, by omitting reference to them, you create the impression
that the selection of the June draft was a foregone conclusion.

I think it is unlikely that Iım the only person with questions. Members of
the WG have asked dozens if not hundreds of process related questions over
the past month ­ very few have received a meaningful response. If the goal
of the Decision Document was to have Peter opine on the state of DNT, then
that should not be mistaken for a consensus decision by this WG.

Iıd appreciate it if youıd clarify at your earliest opportunity.

Alan