Claims of DNT proliferation - Evidence?

From: Alex Fowler <afowler@mozilla.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 12:01:08 -0700
To: public-tracking@w3.org
Apologies if this has been documented somewhere in our discussions and I
missed it, but I'm seeing more and more claims of the proliferation of
DNT:1 online, especially outside the browser context. Can someone point
me to a published study or paper that makes this clear and the sources
for these signals? For my part, I'm looking into the extent to which DNT
may or may not be sent today by specific Firefox add-ons. If we're going
to consider this as a factor for which signals are OK and also as a
justification for which path we follow, it would be helpful for the
basis for this claim to be incontrovertible.