From: Shane Wiley [mailto:wileys@yahoo-inc.com]
Sent: 09 July 2013 19:30
To: Mike O'Neill; 'achapell'; npdoty@w3.org; tlr@w3.org
Cc: public-tracking@w3.org; jeff@democraticmedia.org
Subject: RE: issue-199

Mike,

Deidentification is about removing the association between a unique ID (any source:  cookie, digital fingerprint, etc.) and the actual/specific user/device.  In this context:

Red:  actual user/device

Yellow:  not actual user/device but events are linkable (and only usable for analytics/reporting)

Green:  not actual user/device and events are not linkable (outside the scope of DNT)

- Shane