Re: Confused by DAA's messages. Please explain

On Jul 9, 2013, at 1:39 , Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2013, at 8:24 AM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> No, we don't require that it be set 'individually' we say it has to be the result of a conscious choice by the user.  The user indicating that they want 'private browsing', which requests BOTH local and remote behavior (a new local context, and DNT sent) is entirely consistent with an explicit user choice
>
> Yes, as is stated in TPE section 3, IIRC.

from the spec.:
> We do not specify how tracking preference choices are offered to the user or how the preference is enabled: each implementation is responsible for determining the user experience by which a tracking preference is enabled. For example, a user might select a check-box in their user agent's configuration, install an extension or add-on that is specifically designed to add a tracking preference expression, or make a choice for privacy that then implicitly includes a tracking preference (e.g.,Privacy settings: high).

We (currently) offer you two ways of getting DNT:1 sent:

a) remote-only:  in the context of normal browsing; or
b) remote and local ('high' privacy settings):  also with a fresh, temporary context that it discarded at the end of the private browsing session;

Yes, we're still working on hooking up all the explanations, links to specs, etc.  See the recent email I sent with a draft of 'DNT for users', for example.  It'll be easier once the dust has settled.

David Singer