Re: Confused by DAA's messages. Please explain

>> If it is sent by a client when that semantic is not true

How can you tell by looking at the header? And secondly even if you look
at which browser sent it, how can you tell 'who or what' set the header?

The ONLY way to determine if it's an invalid use of HTTP is to generate an
exception and ask the user to confirm. Otherwise you violate your own
standard.

Peter
_________________________
Peter J. Cranstone
CEO.  3PMobile
Boulder, CO  USA

Improving the Mobile Web Experience
Cell: 720.663.1752
Web site: www.3pmobile.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files
or previous e-mail messages attached to it may contain information that is
confidential or legally privileged. Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure or distribution of such information is prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by telephone or
return e-mail and delete the original transmission and its attachments and
destroy any copies thereof. Thank you.

On Jul 6, 2013, at 5:29 PM, David Singer wrote:
> On Jul 6, 2013, at 10:20 , Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com
><mailto:fielding@gbiv.com?Subject=Re%3A%20Confused%20by%20DAA's%20messages
>.%20Please%20explain&In-Reply-To=%3C3E79190F-C7D3-4BE2-96F3-5C6FC0B74939%4
>0gbiv.com%3E&References=%3C3E79190F-C7D3-4BE2-96F3-5C6FC0B74939%40gbiv.com
>%3E>> wrote:
>
>> I can't speak to the DAA proposal (having not even read it yet while on
>>vacation), but I can say that I will continue disregarding semantically
>>invalid HTTP signals no matter what anyone else's opinion might be.
>
> syntactically invalid I understand.
>
> what do you mean by 'semantically invalid'?  contradictory?  or you
>believe I don't mean what I am saying?  or something else?

DNT:1 has a defined semantic.  If it is sent by a client when that
semantic is not true, then it is an invalid use of HTTP.

....Roy