Some procedures for handling and closing ISSUEs

From: Matthias Schunter (Intel Corporation) <mts-std@schunter.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 09:47:55 +0100
To: "public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>
Hi Team,

ISSUEs formalise specific questions under discussion in the group.

In order to ensure that we are all on the same page and continue to
operate smoothly,
I would like to give some info/background on handling of ISSUES.

Questions/feedback is welcome!

Regards,
matthias

STATE of an ISSUE: Each issue has a status that can be
   RAISED: Someone (anyone) believes that this is a topic to discuss
   OPEN: Questions/topics under active discussion
   PENDING_REVIEW: The discussion has concluded and a proposed
resolution is on the table
   CLOSED: We accepted the proposed resolution
   POSTPONED: We decided not to discuss this issue at this point in time.

GENERAL:
1. - Issues should usually only be closed if there is an documented
proposal that does not trigger sustained and substantiated objections
(i.e., everyone can live with this option).
2. - If this is not possible (i.e., none of the proposals is acceptable
following point (1)), then the chairs may ask for input and decide
       [so far, we only needed executed (2) a single time]

ON OBJECTIONS
- Silence means agreement, i.e., if I ask for objections and nobody
reponds, I assume agreement and consensus.
- Please only speak for yourself/ your organisation: Do not send emails
like "I believe that Joe objects". I am likely to ignore such emails in
the future.
   [Note:  It is OK to send wakeup emails behind the scenes ("hey joe,
are you aware that Matthias is closing this issue")]
- Try to substantiate your objection/concern and indicate what changes
you would like to see

CLOSING via EMAIL
- If I attempt to close issues via Email, I send an explicit email
asking whether anyone sustains and substantiates an objections (the
emails usually saying "Batch closing...")
- Usually, I only attempt this if I perceive sufficient agreement in the
group (I may be wrong)
- If you believe further discussion is needed or that I misrepresented
the status of this issue, please respond.

CLOSING at a F2F:
- We may decide to close issues during F2F meetings
- This will be reflected in the minutes
- In the future, I will do a better job informing all participants
(e.g., my an email saying that we decided to close issues A, B, C)

Meaning of "CLOSED"
- Once an ISSUE is CLOSED, we believe that we have resolved the question
at hand - either by answering it or it became irrelevant
- Usually, ISSUEs are only re-opened if we receive new information/insight
- You can still provide new insight / input / observations to convince
the group to re-open an issue.