Down-scoping / narrowing of ISSUE-187: Right approach to exceptions

From: Matthias Schunter (Intel Corporation) <mts-std@schunter.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 09:19:03 +0200
To: Jonathan Mayer <jmayer@stanford.edu>
CC: "public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>, Nicholas Doty <npdoty@w3.org>
Hi Jonathan,

while composing the agenda for today, I have realised that your concern
of an insufficient user experience
for agreeing to exception (the race to the bottom) is somewhat
independent of ISSUE-187:

- In the "old" approach to exceptions, we need some guidance to prevent
that some BROWSERS
   store exceptions without asking the user
- In the "new" approach to exceptions, we need some guidance to prevent
that some SITES
   store exceptions without asking the user

I see this as a valid concern for both approaches to exceptions (and
similarly also for the initial gathering of preferences).

As a consequence, I suggest the following way forward:
- We create a new ISSUE on  "Rules for sufficient user interaction to
ensure that a user actually agrees with an exception" (or a similar wording)
   and include this as OPEN in the database and the current TPE draft
- I will try to close ISSUE 187 while stating that this new issue needs
resolving (but that we overall try to work
   towards the new approach to exceptions).

I hope that this addresses your concern of a "race to the bottom" while
still giving the group a stable path for the exception framework.

Would this work? If yes, I will send a mail to the announce list to
formally implement this down-scoping of ISSUE-187.

Regards,
matthias