RE: de-identification text for Wednesday's call

Hi Brooks,

I think you can still call for unlinking by IP address by requiring their
deletion by the data controller, i.e. administrative and operational
controls (AOC).

You would have to rely on these when these identifiers are long lasting,
i.e. static IPv4 addresses or other than temporary IPv6 ones. As things move
to IPv6 it will be less of a problem because temporary addresses will become
the norm.

I think we should have a separate definition of unlinkability because it
gives you a knob you can dial depending on the circumstances. You could
allow permitted uses, say audience measurement or financial audit, that
otherwise would be problematical. You could then keep the data for extended
periods, perhaps de-identified to remove PII, by making the data unlinkable
beyond a maximum period. For instance, in the case of UIDs in cookies you
could require they had a duration less than X and not allow cloning of the
UIDs. This has the advantage over purely AOC by being transparent (visible
in logs).

Mike