Re: Modifying a DNT Header (ISSUE-153, ACTION-285)

The group has received new information about its language on browser user interface.  The group consensus had been that a mainstream browser must reflect a user's preference to be compliant.  Many members of the group only agreed so long as a website could not ignore DNT headers from a non-compliant browser.  Recent events include:
a large advertising company announced it would ignore DNT headers from an allegedly (but not actually) non-compliant web browser,
several advertising industry trade groups have endorsed that position, and
a popular open-source web server shipped with a configuration that would ignore DNT headers from that browser.

These episodes undermined a foundational assumption of the group's consensus on browser user interface.  I am uncertain whether that consensus remains intact.

Jonathan