From: Fred Andrews [mailto:fredandw@live.com]
Sent: 23 October 2012 13:37
To: Mike O'Neill; 'Nicholas Doty'
Cc: public-tracking@w3.org
Subject: RE: tracking-ISSUE-183 (Tk E ): Additional Tk header status value
for EU [Tracking Preference Expression (DNT)]

Hi Mike,

> From: michael.oneill@baycloud.com
> I agree that returning a 3 status would be functionally equivalent, but
both
> the value and descriptive text will not correspond to the majority usage
in
> Europe. Request handlers (associated with particular URIs) could have been
> written to always operate in a 1st party context but will have to cause
the
> 3 status to be returned (if DNT = 1) which seems inappropriate.
Implementers
> will also be confused by the text which says "the designated resource is
> designed for use within a third-party context", when it has not.
>
> I initially thought that we could fix this by changing the descriptive
text,
> but it gets too long winded and confusing. My suggestion is to add another
> status value for this majority situation with a simpler description, to
make
> the requirement clear for implementers. I do not think the added
complexity
> of an extra status value, though it may be technically redundant, is too
bad
> compared with the resulting gain in clarity.

The handler needs to decide if it confirms to the requirements of a 1st
party
or 3rd party so surely it could just return 1 or 3.  Having to further
decide
between 3 or E seems an extra step that may not even be trivial given the
rather vague distinction between 1st and 3rd party contexts.

The handler can return either, (3 or E), it doesn't have to decide (because
they are functionally equivalent).

What I mean is if the handler was designed to operate in a 1st party context
but conforms to the TPC as a 3rd party (with exemptions etc., otherwise it
would just return N) it could return E, where the description is "the
designated resource may be designed for use in a first-party context but
conforms to the requirements on a third party". There is no requirement for
more logic, this is just for clarity.

A description such as "3: The designated resource conforms to the
requirements
on a third party." seems simpler and clearer to me and is not conflated by
the
1st / 3rd party context distinction.

I would agree with that text but the value 3 is still confusing in the
majority case.

I thought you agreed there should be no 1st / 3rd party distinction so
surely
it would be better to ride the response status values of the 1st / 3rd party