Re: my questions

Shane,

For want of a better metaphor: you are the climate change skeptic of computer privacy.  Against an overwhelming consensus in the scientific community, you persist in claiming that re-pseudonymization significantly mitigates privacy risks.  I am not aware of a single serious researcher who shares your radical view.

Dan correctly challenged you.  He observed that a pseudonymous browsing history is often identified or identifiable.  It is not "anonymous" or "unlinkable" as those terms are ordinarily used.  One way in which a pseudonymous browsing history may be identified or identifiable is information leakage from a first-party website's content.  Dan provided a helpful analogy to the AOL search results debacle, which showed how easily a semantically rich pseudonymous dataset can be re-identified.  (So easy to do, even the New York Times can do it!)

Like any good denialist, instead of earnestly engaging with your critic, you straw manned his claim.  You emphasized the rarity of search result pages leaking information to third-party websites—which was far from Dan's central concern.  (You're wrong on this too, by the way.  Research by Krishnamurthy and Wills showed that search queries frequently leak to third parties.)  I refocused on the relevant issues, which are 1) whether pseudonymous browsing histories are identified or identifiable (they are), and 2) whether identifying information leaks from first-party websites to third-party websites (it does).

If pattern holds, you'll send a response of nonsensical bluster.  Don't expect a retort.  Unlike some of the more patient members of the group, I long ago ceased pretending you're negotiating in good faith.

Jonathan