Re: "forced choice" user agent implementation of DNT

On 10/15/2012 03:01 PM, SULLIVAN, BRYAN L wrote:

> | I want to by crystal clear that this commitment to user choice is
> the view of everyone in this working group, and that there are no
> objections to forced choice | user agent implementations of DNT,
> modulo arguments about the text.
>
> Note that "user agent" means any HTTP-enabled application on a device
> (including native apps which embed Web content via Webview APIs), not
> just browsers. Are you implying that every HTTP-enabled application
> will thus be forced to include a modal dialog in which the user will
> either need to make a DNT preference selection, or abandon the
> installation/use of the HTTP-enabled application? Put in this more
> crystal clear way, I would expect that there will be objections to
> such a mandate.

I am not suggesting a mandate for all user agents. I am merely
hypothesizing a particular user agent with this implementation, and as
an example used a browser. What I'd like to know is if there would be
any objections to such an instance of this implementation, chosen by
whoever controls the user agent. I'm particularly interested in how
folks from the advertising industry feel about it.

Thanks,
Dan

--
Dan Auerbach