Re: Third-Party Web Tracking: Policy and Technology Paper outlining harms of tracking

Rachel,

With all respect, the TPWG is working towards affirmative opt-in
consent for third-party web tracking. Let me name just one example: the
principle of meaningful interaction. Also, for me at least, the enabling
of DNT as a means to express user consent through browser settings and
the actual default DNT value (on, off, unset) are two distinct different
things.

Maybe it is a cultural difference, but "Taking issue with" in
conjunction with marketing DAA conducts/guidelines/papers/definitions
and closing with "very best" do sound thorny to me. Since many of us
have been trying very hard to make progress for over a year to create
added value for DNT in comparison to the current opt-out system, it
appears to me as counter productive. The topic is on developing thoughts
on harms of tracking. Please contribute to this topic or change the
subject line.

Rob