Re: ACTION-255: Work on financial reporting text as alternative to legal requirements

Rigo,

The W3C is primarily a technical standard setting body, therefore every change they make is an advancement and innovation (unless I missed a recent recommendation to go back to using fax machines). Now that the W3C has decided to dive headlong into the policy setting role, that dynamic fundamentally changes. Some policy proposals on the table place small advances in privacy over the significant harm they would cause to the job creation and economic growth that has made innovation possible in our industry. The reason I originally pointed you to the new IAB economic study is to demonstrate what exactly is at stake. Your continued dismissal of the economic realities in favor of "change" to privacy practices is shortsighted and inappropriate.

And of course you speak for the W3C. You are a W3C employee providing legal advice in a formal W3C process, who else would you be representing?  All of us have the responsibility to take care in how we present our views as they reflect directly upon our employers.

Mike Zaneis
SVP & General Counsel, IAB
(202) 253-1466