Re: ACTION-255: Work on financial reporting text as alternative to legal requirements

Brooks,

On Monday 01 October 2012 20:25:19 Dobbs, Brooks wrote:
> Another example that just sprung to mind along Alan's line of
> thinking is pharmaceuticals.  I know pharmaceutical advertisers
> who may store both the IP address of the adserving serving event
> and the referring URL (site on which the ad appeared) to comply
> with requirements that they not market certain regulated products
> outside of certain geographical confines.

Than they should also record all IP addresses and requests and store
them indefinitely to provide evidence that they did not send porn
out before 10pm. This case assumes that our society has the
principle of presumption of culpability. In such a society we need
to provide evidence that we haven't infringed anything. :)

I know that those are real cases. But wait a second. What should we
back here? Their paranoia? If those services are paranoid, they
should openly admit their data collection. And not doing so under
DNT:1 and permitted uses. If there is a law obliging them, this is
not an issue. The law prevails.

Rigo