Re: ACTION-212: Draft text on how user agents must obtain consent to turn on a DNT signal

On 11/15/12 6:46 PM, David Singer wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2012, at 9:31 , Justin Brookman <justin@cdt.org
> <mailto:justin@cdt.org>> wrote:
>
>> “The User Agent MUST make available explanatory text to provide more
>> detailed information about DNT functionality within easy and direct
>> access for the particular environment prior to DNT being enabled.”
>
> and all sites will, of course, be mandated to do the same or better
> for exception requests?

I'm open to having something like this in the spec. It's not as
important, though. We should acknowledge there is an imbalance here.
There are strong external incentives for servers to provide information
and consent before granting an exception. The have real legal liability.
On the other hand, there are practically no consequences for software
turning on DNT without adequate information and consent.