Re: ACTION-212: Draft text on how user agents must obtain consent to turn on a DNT signal

On Thursday 15 November 2012 15:46:14 David Singer wrote:
> > “The User Agent MUST make available explanatory text to provide more
> > detailed information about DNT functionality within easy and direct
> > access for the particular environment prior to DNT being enabled.”
> and all sites will, of course, be mandated to do the same or better for
> exception requests?

<joke>
YES! All sides MUST implement P3P to fulfill DNT! After 10 years, the magic
bullet to get ubiquituous P3P adoption.
</joke>

I thought we have always worked under the assumption that we do not proscribe
UA GUI. Because my experience is that we can write whatever we want into a
Specification, but UAs won' t necessarily honor that. UI is where browsers
compete. While some simple, well-tested proscribed text would probably create
some kind of a circuit where users better understand and adapt their
expectations, I don't see momentum.

I rather think that it creates an eco-system where browser that promise too
much can be punished by users who are deceived and by sites responding that
they won't honor. And we'll see waves into one or the other direction before
it stabilizes.

Rigo