Re: ACTION-212: Draft text on how user agents must obtain consent to turn on a DNT signal

I have to say that this has been one of my favorite emails this week w.r.t.
the Thundercats t-shirt. That said, being serious for a moment, I think
part of it is that we still haven't settled on what the thing should be
called. It's currently DNT but I believe we agreed that it was a
placeholder and would re-visit the name once we had figured out what we
managed to actually build.

Saying "Click here to turn on Do Not Track" is a lot like saying "Click
here to get a free pony and see puppies." It sounds great and I can't
imagine why any user wouldn't say "yes" given the text. The problem is that
the user isn't really getting ponies, puppies, or a world in which their
web browsing behaviour is magically kept private by re-inventing the way
the Internet works. Even if we applied DNT to all first parties as well,
there's still exceptions such as security, financial reporting etc that
will result in their browsing history being kept by third parties, which is
probably not what I would expect if you told me that I was "not being
tracked."

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that if websites are being told "the
user has a preference for X" that we at least do some diligence to explore
ways to make sure that what the sites are being told is the user's
preference actually matches a decision the user would make. Asking the user
"Do you want a pony" and then telling the website "The user wants you to
mail them a Thundercats t-shirt" makes about as much sense as asking a user
"Do you want to send a Do-Not-Track header to websites you visit" and
expecting websites to believe the user made any sort of
informed decision about the issues touched on in the spec.

My $0.024