Re: Today's call: summary on user agent compliance

I think treading the line between "annoying" and "ensuring exception
requests are brought to users' attention" is not an impossible one to draw.

Rigo's dashboard (which btw is in PRE alpha :P) and Jonathan's banner
are less intrusive than your typical plug-in prompt, and users are able
to 'accept' from the bar itself. Also, I took Rigo's point to be that
web-wide exceptions would build momentum,

While much will certainly come down to specific browser implementations,
if one browser's users are plagued with an excess of annoyances vis a
vis others, this will surely take care of itself.

I think, however, it is in everyone's interest to resolve this through
the spec. Otherwise you can get the following scenario:

MSIE: DNT-1 (set by default)
Server: Neg ACK (I have taken a look at MSIE's implementation of the
standard and I do not deem this DNT-1 to be a valid expression of user
choice).
MSIE: prompts the user (through an in-browser dashboard it has
developed): this server has failed to acknowledge your DNT-1. Please
select one of the following a.) I don't want to be tracked by this
server; b.) I do want to be tracked by this server; c.) I'm generally ok
with being tracked, please stop bothering me.
User: I pick 'a.) I don't want to be tracked by this server'
MSIE: DNT-1 (again)
Server: ????

The server is basing its rejection of the first DNT-1 on its own
research and the assessment that it did not result from 'user choice'. I
don't think it can do so for the second DNT-1. Indeed, this second DNT-1
is fully compliant as far as I can tell.

So, I think we are better off addressing this within the spec by more
working with the exceptions.

Best,
Tamir