Re: Today's call: summary on user agent compliance

On Wednesday 13 June 2012 16:38:21 Ian Fette wrote:
> Because I thought we said earlier (in DC) that we expected
> browsers would only show exception UI in response to a user
> gesture. Otherwise, you end up with popups on every page (which
> apparently some people think is an OK outcome).

Ok, I challenge you with my research result:

When Dave made the privacy dashboard, I had the idea that everybody
has their "known territory" in the digital world. I uncovered this
while training my CRM114 spam-protection system. It would start by
asking me for every other email. After 3 weeks, accuracy was over
90%. After 4 month of training, I got one false positive and about 5
false negatives per month.

Translated into the dashboard, we had this hanging bar. It would
only appear if you encounter something new. This is what users
expect. It works on a per-site basis and has per-site permissions.
Try it at code.w3.org/privacy-dashboard/ UI was tested in UX labs.
It is still somewhat alpha.. I don't want to mandate anything, just
suggest that we think beyond "pop up".

It has shown a way to inform the user that is not invasive (pop up)
and still does the trick. So we may have a third way. We should at
least look at that option.

Rigo