Re: ACTION-211 Draft text on how user agents must obtain consent to turn on a DNT signal

On 6/13/2012 10:35 AM, Peter Cranstone wrote:
> >> We do not specify how tracking preference choices are offered to
> the user or how the preference is enabled:
>
> &
>
> >> Implementations of HTTP that are not under control of the user
> /must not/ express a tracking preference on their behalf.
>
> Which means that MSIE 10 is compliant, because it's under the control
> of the user.
This alone does not mean that IE10 is compliant, as there is separate
text saying that "A user agent MUST NOT express a tracking preference
for a user unless the user has interacted with the user agent in such a
way as to indicate a tracking preference."

> >> Implementations of HTTP that are not under control of the user
> /must not/ express a tracking preference on their behalf.
>
> How do you know? All a proxy server has to do is add DNT:1 -- take
> Abine for example. A 3rd party plugin that adds DNT:1 to the outbound
> header. You have no idea who set it because there's no code to
> determine who did it. Me or the add on.
I agree that third parties should not be second guessing DNT:1 signals
for all the reasons that I and others have expressed over the list in
the last two weeks.