Re: Today's call: summary on user agent compliance

On Jun 12, 2012, at 12:47 PM, Peter Cranstone wrote:

> And there in lies the challenge of defining a user choice.
>
> Microsoft sets the choice of “Do Not Track”
>
> Everyone else (Apple, Mozilla, Google, Opera, Yahoo) sets the choice to “Tracking allowed”. (In the absence of the user being notified that they can indeed make a choice the default is to track).

Please read the specification.

> So there you have it, opt-in vs. opt-out. Can you imagine the user now has a choice. They can download a browser that by default offers more privacy or they can chose the alternative. The real surprise comes later when they (the consumer) find out that it’s all optional for the content provider.

Sending "DNT: 1" does not, in any way, improve privacy.
It's sole purpose and action is to indicate a user preference.
It is not a light switch.  It does not turn anything on or off.
What it does is tell the server something useful: that this user
has chosen the following preference.  That's all.

The default of whether tracking is enabled or not given the
absence of a user's expressed preference is determined by
things entirely outside the scope of the WG: regional laws,
out-of-band consent mechanisms, user account settings, the
full moon, and other things that we are not concerned with.

....Roy