RE: Considering browser vendor as a third party

Jonathan,

For the examples I listed, I’ve seen a step in either install or first use of the browser where I’ve been asked to consider participation (research panel, phishing scanning) and/or how I would like a certain option configured (default search engine for example).  With respect to the “proxy traffic” example - I had a Kindle Fire for a brief time and they “collect” very little information, for a limited period of time, and only retain aggregate (unlinkable) data – but was NOT shown this information in a separate “pop-up” during first use (has that changed – no longer have the Kindle Fire so I can’t check).  I would have thought based on your proposal they would be in the clear for not needing consent based on the limits they place on their business practices (and their PP is crystal clear on this feature for anyone with questions).  Based on your current proposal, if you were to treat as a 3rd party (non-service provider), would they require opt-in consent based on their limited use and retention of the data collected – or would their approach be covered under your grace period?

- Shane

From: Jonathan Mayer [mailto:jmayer@stanford.edu]
Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2012 1:37 PM
To: Shane Wiley
Cc: Justin Brookman; public-tracking@w3.org
Subject: Re: Considering browser vendor as a third party

Shane,

Could you describe the sort of "active user step" you have in mind during installation or first run?  I've used many browsers that proxy traffic or submit telemetry; very few presented an explicit choice ex ante.  I'm sure all included a provision about it in their terms of use or privacy policy—but I thought we recognized that, in general, terms of use/privacy policy would not be sufficient for out-of-band consent.

Thanks,
Jonathan