Re: Today's call: summary on user agent compliance

Hi Ian,

On 6/8/2012 10:03 PM, Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ) wrote:
> Tamir and others,
>
> I don't think the point is to say "a server merely notifies the user
> they will ignore their DNT-1 signal, that this is sufficient to gain
> user consent for server tracking.".
>
> Many jurisdictions don't require explicit opt-in consent for "server
> tracking". Take the US for example. In this case, as long as we're not
> promising something that we fail to deliver, there is no problem here.
>
> I think you are getting hung up on the case where, in some countries
> depending on what finalized legislation comes out, there might be a
> requirement to obtain explicit opt-in consent. I agree with you that
> the mere act of rejecting the user's DNT:1 signal is not explicit
> opt-in consent in that context, and the website would probably have to
> take further steps to obtain that explicit opt-in consent. But that
> does not need to be the problem of this working group or specification.

The issue I'm trying to address is a scenario where opt-out consent is
required. Functionally, the Canadian system operates much like the US in
practice (servers are seemingly free to track without asking [as long as
there is a readily available mechanism for opting out]). Typically,
U.S.-based businesses find this to be a benefit, since their Canadian
implementations can match their US implementation (given our physical
proximity).

The similarities in regime break down, however, where a server rejects a
DNT-1 (because it was set by default), and there is no alternate
mechanism left for the user to opt-out. As the server can no longer rely
on implicit/opt-out consent in this case, presumably they can no longer
track.

> The point of DNT is to allow a user to express a preference on
> tracking. The point of DNT is not to solve the EU regulatory debacle,
> or any other country-specific regulations. If it can be useful in that
> manner, then great, but I continue to question whether we should allow
> this working group to get continually railroaded into trying to solve
> country-specific regulatory problems.

The group may well decide to leave it to regulators in various countries
to decide how to solve their own specific regulatory problems around the
spec, but I think it is fully legitimate to at least attempt to address
these here.

Best regards,
Tamir