Re: Today's call: summary on user agent compliance

Brooks,

I agree. A server can't know whether a UA has obtained a user's
willful interaction to set some DNT status. Even for the browser who
announced a default you can't know. Because weirdos like me may have
altered the settings. And in this case even this browser defaulting
to DNT:1 is compliant.

The server sees a DNT:1 on the wire. It can decide to follow that
and send an ACK. It can decide to not respond and it can decide to
send NACK. But having browser sniffing determine whether a request
is compliant is adventurous at best.

So a service having too many DNT:1 requests will be inventive and do
advertisement without tracking. Or it will block those users with
DNT:1 by sending exception requests.

I personally do NOT believe that a server can determine compliance
of a header that is well formed and comes down the pipe. We can only
exclude those user agents that can't even handle exceptions and are
purely injecting DNT:1 strings into every TCP/IP traffic. And we can
call them out. A server, if a suspicion exists, can probe with an
exception call.

Rigo