Re: tracking-ISSUE-150: DNT conflicts from multiple user agents [Tracking Definitions and Compliance]

Hi there,

I've been a very silent observer here, so I truly apologize for
interjecting now.

But I think there is a problem with applying 'default' in a binary
manner. The objective of this DNT spec is to help users express
preferences but, surely, this at some point references notions of user
consent? In this sense, opting in to collection is one thing, and opting
in to 'non-collection' is quite another since the basis is that you need
some form (opt-in or opt-out) of consent to collect user information.

I think any specification that overtly _discounts_ a DNT-1 signal sent
by default is going to be problematic under at least some data
protection regimes.

Best,
Tamir

--

Tamir Israel
Staff Lawyer

Samuelson-Glushko Canadian Internet Policy & Public Interest Clinic
University of Ottawa, Faculty of Law, CML Section
57 Louis Pasteur Street
Ottawa, ON, K1N 6N5
Tel: (613) 562-5800 ext. 2914
Fax: (613) 562-5417

*Do you really need to print this email? / Est-ce nécessaire d'imprimer
ce courriel?*